Phoenix criminal defense attorney Mark S. Williams provides strong representation to people charged with DUI (driving under the influence) in Maricopa County, Arizona.
DUI Charges Carry Significant Consequences
Being arrested for a DUI in Arizona can seriously impact your life and the lives of those around you. Even for a first offense, the penalties for DUI in Arizona are severe:
- Ten to 180 days in jail with a minimum of ten consecutive days. The court may suspend nine of the ten days if you agree to alcohol and/or drug evaluation and submit to treatment.
- Fines and costs of approximately $1,800 plus jail costs.
- Driver's license suspension for 90 days with allowance for a work/school permit only after 30 days.
- Mandatory counseling, which means compliance with any recommended substance abuse evaluations or be subject to additional jail time.
- Installation and maintenance of an ignition interlock device for 12 months.
- Probation for up to five years.
- The court may order community service in addition to any other penalties.
- The court may order you to attend one or more sessions of the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) impact panel.
Mark S. Williams is an experienced, aggressive criminal defense attorney who understands the nuances of DUI law. If you have been charged with DUI, he can help you save your freedom, your license, and your permanent record. As his client, you can be sure that everything possible will be done to achieve the best possible outcome in your situation.
Super Extreme DUI
Under Arizona law, a DUI is deemed "super extreme" if a person's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is .200 or above. While a super extreme DUI is still a misdemeanor, it carries a minimum jail term that is greater than many felonies: 45 days for first time offenders. Also, while all Arizona DUI convictions require installation of an interlock device, super extreme DUI conviction requires a minimum period of one-and-a-half years as opposed to one year.
Even if you are charged with a super extreme DUI, you can still avoid conviction and the severe consequences of this classification with the support of an attorney well versed in Arizona's unique DUI laws. We have helped clients obtain reduced plea offers and dismissals of these charges by uncovering problems in the blood testing process, showing that our client was not acting as impaired as the test result indicated, and by asserting that our client was not significantly over the .200 threshold.
Related Traffic Crimes
Often, our clients accused of DUI also face charges for related traffic crimes. We provide comprehensive DUI defense representation, and always work to have these charges dismissed or reduced so that our clients receive minimum penalties for DUI. Related traffic crimes include.
- Reckless driving
- Assured clear distance ahead (ACDA)
- Failure to control a vehicle
- Controlled substance abuse
For first time offenders, we can argue for a dismissal or significant reduction of these charges, often obtaining lighter, alternative punishments, and for repeat offenders, we can recommend a diversion program or seek a penalty that will not leave a lasting blemish on your record.
Seek Experienced, Personal Representation
If you face DUI and related traffic charges in Maricopa County, you need a criminal defense attorney who knows Arizona law. We have achieved positive results for numerous clients, from first time offenders to people with multiple convictions on their records. For exceptional DUI defense representation, contact Mark S. Williams, Attorney. We offer free initial consultations.